Pages

Friday, December 4, 2009

Question for people with "good taste"




Is "Always Kiss Me Goodnight" the new "All Because Two People Fell In Love"?

I find it 50% less irritating, but 120% more creepy.  Partly because I can't tell whether it should go over a child's bed (less weird) or an adult's bed (shudder). 

And for everyone out there who wants to criticize me for having hang ups regarding adult sexuality,* I would just like to say, a man would never, ever applique the wall above his bed "Always kiss me goodnight" as a cute reminder to his wife.  It would always, always, always be the wife pulling these shenanigans.  At which point my Oedipal Complex Alert Alarms start going at full blast, because did I mention it seems like it's more appropriate (though still tacky) in a child's room? 

Hence the shudder.






* (For your future reference, I have only the normal American hang ups regarding adult sexuality, namely, I don't like having any sort of serious discussion about sex, but am totally happy to make a joke about it.  Which is why if my future husband wanted to applique "Let's Bang" over our marital bed, I would be more than willing to let him. 

Until we had kids, that is.  At that point we would paint over the vinyl lettering and start passing normal American hang ups regarding adult sexuality on to the next generation.) 



3 comments:

  1. Oooh, great points, definitely creepy. I don't really get most things people put on walls. This goes for sayings as well as random crap, like wood blocks. WHAT? "S-N-O-W." Okay. Yes, it is winter, and it snows. Why is that a decoration? I may as well put wood blocks on the piano that say "B-R-E-A-T-H-E" or "A-I-R" or "I-T-'-S C-O-L-D O-U-T."

    I just don't get it.

    Also, if you'll allow me a brief tangent, the psuedo-religious vinyl sayings confuse me the most. For example, the "We're a forever family" one. What? Forever is a stand-alone adjective now? In my eyes that is grammatical mayhem. I've also seen "PRINCESS!" in complicated font with "Daughter of a Heavenly King" underneath it. There are lots of perfectly good and substantive scriptures if you want a religious theme on your wall. No need to Disney-fy our beliefs.

    Wow. That got long. Who knew I had all that rage? Thank you for your time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha - I seriously want wooden blocks that make obvious statements now. Maybe ones that say W-O-O-D-E-N B-L-O-C-K-S?

    I definitely agree on the pseudo-religious vinyl phenomenon. The Princess one kills me, partly because (now I'm on a complete tangent) I had a misogynistic seminary teacher in ninth grade who passed out crowns for the girls to wear (no kidding), told the boys to treat girls with "extra respect" (because regular respect is no good now?), and reminded them that (ahem) when they got married, THEY would be responsible for their wives' sins, so it was very important to pick out a good girl to marry. Less secondary sin to be responsible for, I guess.

    But yeah. That's the story I think of whenever I hear the word "princess" associated with churchy things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ew. and ha.

    gurr directed me to this lovely tidbit, and the only thing i can add is "amen, and amen." in fact, i may make that into a stencil, and hang it somewhere random.

    amen, and amen.

    ReplyDelete