Pages

Saturday, December 19, 2009

Apartment hunting

Flew down to Phoenix for the weekend to look for a place to live.  It has been an adventure.  I've made a few mistakes (buying the rental car insurance I knew I didn't need, but was too scared not to get; forgetting the camera sync cord so I could email pictures of various apartments to my friends; booking the "Expedia Recommends!" hotel which apparently features neither free parking -- $19 a night -- or free internet -- $13 for 24 hours), but all in all, I think I will have a home in three weeks.

For anyone who is interested, here are my current prospects, complete with pros and cons.

First apartment complex: Super close to work, exposed cement walls and 10 foot ceilings, very quiet complex, good management.  Includes cheapest option.  Only real downfall?  The floor plans I liked best were essentially studios, with the bedroom separated from the rest of the place by one half wall and nor door, so when (not if, bitches) people come to visit me, it's basically like they're going to be sleeping in my room.  Weird?  I don't know.

Second apartment complex: Bleh.  Bleh bleh bleh bleh bleh.  I did not care for it.

Third apartment complex: Very torn.  Not too far from my work, but much closer to fun Phoenix things.  More expensive than the first complex.  My favorite floor plans included (1) a two bedroom (place for visitors!) with hardwood floors and a gas fireplace and (2) a two bedroom plus loft with spiral staircase.  But the bedroom layouts were weird ... like, not square at all.   I don't care from rhombus rooms.

Spiral staircase ... how I lust after thee ...
(While I forgot my camera cord, my dad's real estate agent friend emailed me a few pictures, so there you go.)

Fourth apartment complex: Really liked.  Further from my work than the first place, but not by much.  Huge bathroom with a tub and a shower.  (Why separate?  In case you want to soak and then shower, I guess.)  About the same size as the first apartments, but the bedroom is fully enclosed, so visitors would have the living room to themselves.  Gas fireplace.  (Ok, I know that fireplaces are not exactly a necessity in Phoenix, but I love fire.)  But more expensive than the first place, and I'm not really sure what the deal with the management is.  Not actually convinced they have management.

Fifth apartment complex: I think drug dealers lived there.  But really, a trip to Phoenix isn't complete without a trip to a crime-riddled area.


My super-sensible pops thinks it's a no-brainer--the first place is closest to work and cheapest.

But ... fireplaces ...  :(

I'm going to sleep on it.  In the meantime, if the interwebs have any thoughts, feel free to share.

2 comments:

  1. I know! Damn, I was hoping someone was going to back up my pops on this one ... so much to ponder over the Christmas season.

    ReplyDelete