Pages

Monday, October 19, 2009

While watching Grey's Anatomy* ...

Many verses in the Bible are arranged in chiamus.  Chiasm is the art of arranging words in a mirror-like or parallel way.  Think ABCDCBA.  The central idea (in this case "D") is usually the important thought, and all the others are arranged to emphasize it.   A quick google search revealed the following example:

 "Seek me and live;                      a
     but do not seek Bethel,                 b
       and do not enter into Gilgal            c
         or cross over to Beer-sheba;          *
       Gilgal will surely go into exile,        C
     and Bethel shall come to nought." B
   Seek the LORD and live,               A


While watching Grey's Anatomy, it occurred to me that the show's writers may be big (albeit crappy) Bible scholars.

Does anyone notice how everyone on that show repeats themselves, as if inane dialogue times two will become meaningful?


Meredith GreyYou're the guy who used to pour my cereal in the morning. That's it. It's all I remember about you. You're not my father, you're just the guy who used to pour my cereal. And, if you die it probably won't change my life that much. But, it will change hers. If you die, it will break her. And, I'm not gonna let you do that. I don't know what it's like to have a father, but I do know what it's like to have a sister. And, it's good. And, if we can get through this, then the door will be open for us to get to know each other. The door is open.


Owen HuntNo, it's my fault. It was my call, and it was the wrong call. I was wrong and I should have known better.  I should have... I should have taught better. You see one in a million and you want to believe. I was wrong to do the surgery, I was wrong to put you on this case. You weren't ready. You weren't ready to be here. 

 
Izzie StevensI'm wishing for a brain tumor. I'm wishing all the time for a giant tumor that would just press down on my brain and make me hallucinate George. So that I could talk to him again, so I could laugh with him again. I miss him so much. I miss him all the time, and I just want to feel better. Even for a minute you know, I just wantto be a person who isn't wishing for a brain tumor. Just for one minute. And, I can't drink because of the cancer meds, I don't do drugs, I can't even work right now. I don't have any distractions. I'm sad, and I miss George. So please, please, come inside and help me feel better.




Calliope Torres: You can't pray away the gay.  You can't pray away the gay!  (Mr. Torres says something.)  You can't pray away the gay!




(Yeah, she said that last one THREE TIMES in a row with no variation.)


OK, so it's not exactly Biblical poetry (that may be the point) but damn, it is repetitive.  So any takers on whether or not that is intentional?






*Yes, on occasion, I find myself watching Grey's Anatomy.

2 comments:

  1. I had noticed the exact same thing. In fact, googling 'grey's anatomy everyone repeats themselves' got me to your page. But I have to say i find it one of the most distracting elements of the program and alongside completely inconsistent character development and poor plotting. It makes the show's writers appear utterly amateurish and navel-gazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, I'm glad someone agrees! I thought maybe it was just me. :) I mean, I still kinda secretly love Grey's Anatomy, and will probably continue to fold laundry/watch it online Saturday mornings for as long as it is on the air (it's a ritual) ... but sometimes the characters-repeating-themselves thing just makes me start laughing out loud. I mean, THEY ALL DO IT. Not just one character - ALL OF THEM. It's kinda awesome, in a way.

    I hope the series finale reveals that this all has been taking place inside Meredith's crazy mom's brain, and that's why every character exhibits the exact same vocal patterns.

    ReplyDelete